I’m starting off my Birthday week right, with these Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough cupcakes. It all started because of this post I saw on facebook. It was a 4 layer cake that had a layer of chocolate cake, cookie dough, chocolate cake, and cookie dough. Then they topped it all off with little chocolate chip cookies and a layer of chocolate ganash. Yum! These cupcakes are a mini version of that 4 awesome layer cake.
I used a box of chocolate cake mix for these but changed up the ingredients a bit. I find that the cake mixes you get in the store are way too moist and they just crumble apart so easy. There was this post going around on pinterest where it said “If you want to make your cake taste like a bakery try this.” So, that is what I did. I replaced the oil with butter, added one more egg, and then instead of water you use milk. They came out really well actually and they were a lot more dense than the box cake mix. I’ll be doing that from now on. Then, on top of the cake is a layer of cookie dough frosting topped with a mini chocolate chip cookie. What’s not to like?
Disclaimer: this is not a Weight Watcher recipe.
- 1 box of Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake Mix
- instead of package directions use this:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- Â½ cup of melted butter
- Â½ cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- Â¾ cup (150g) packed light brown sugar (or dark brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Â¼ (60ml) cup milk or cream
- 1 cup (180g) mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Use the ingredients listed above instead of following the directions of the cake mix box. Scoop the batter in cupcake tins and bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes.
- While the cake is baking make the frosting.
- In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Switch the mixer to medium speed and add the brown sugar. Beat until combined, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. On low speed, add the vanilla, flour, and salt. Beat until everything is mixed; the dough will be thick and heavy. Add the milk and beat on low for 30 seconds to fairly mix it in. Then switch to high and beat for at least 2 minutes until combined and very creamy. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Set aside at room temperature until ready to use.
- Garnish the cupcakes with a mini chocolate chip cookie such as Chips Ahoy.